"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me." - John 5:46
In this verse, Jesus said Moses wrote of him. But you won’t find the name of Jesus anywhere in the first five books of the Bible! True, but you will find allusions to him everywhere. “Every story whispers his name.” Let me briefly show you 12 places where Moses wrote of Jesus:
1. He is the better Adam who passed the test in the Garden and imputes his obedience to us (Gen. 3; Rom. 5:15-19; 1 Cor. 15:45).
2. He is the serpent-crushing offspring of the woman (Gen. 3:15).
3. He is the better Abel whose blood calls out for our acquittal (Gen. 4:10; Heb. 12:24).
4. He is the better Abraham who obeyed God and left his home in order to bring blessing to all the families of the earth (Gen. 12:1-3; Gal. 3:8; 4:16).
5. He is the better Isaac who was offered up by his Father, bound to wood atop a mountain, so that we might be spared (Gen. 22).
6. He is the better Joseph who was betrayed by his brothers, left for dead, but raised to the right hand of the king and uses his new power to forgive and save his brothers (Gen. 37-50).
7. He is the better Passover Lamb whose blood causes the Angel of Death to pass over us so that we might escape the slavery of our captor and pass through the waters of judgment unscathed (Exodus 12-14; 1 Cor. 5:7).
8. He is the better Moses who stands in the gap between the people and the Lord and who mediates a new covenant (Exodus 32; 1 Tim. 2:5).
9. He is the better sacrifice that is offered once for all for our sins (Leviticus 16; Hebrews 10).
10. He is the better high priest who has no need of a sacrifice for his own sins and brings the blood of his sacrifice into the Holy of Holies in order to make atonement for us before God (Leviticus; Hebrews 8-9).
11. He is the Prophet that God promised to raise up after Moses to whom the people would listen (Deut. 18:5).
12. He is the One who brings the greater circumcision of the heart so that we love God from the heart and live (Deut. 30:6).